How to fix ugly tan lines + avoid them in the future
It’s wedding and vacation season! Perfect, right? Strapless bridesmaid dresses, fashion-forward swimsuits, lots of pictures, and a gorgeous, natural tan. The only downside: inevitably awkward tan lines. If your cutout maillot or lace-up halter leaves you with strange stripes in all the wrong places, try these tricks! They’ll help you even out your tan so you can confidently post your next Instagram pic with #NoFilter.
FIXING EXISTING TAN LINES
There’s nothing better than donning a uniquely cut, trendy swimsuit on your holiday in the sun. Sadly, the tan lines these suits leave behind aren’t quite as visually appealing. Luckily, you have a few options if you want them gone!
FADE THEM FAST
The darker your tan, the starker your tan lines. Once your tan begins to fade, your tan lines will start disappearing right along with it. If your pesky tan lines are driving you nuts, you can speed up this fading process with a few little tricks.
- Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! Is there anything a great exfoliation can’t fix? Grab your favorite body scrub – or whip up your own if you’re resourceful – and give your body a rub down! Use a sponge, a loofah, or your hand to rub the body scrub in circular motions from your neck to your feet. You can exfoliate your face too, of course, but go with gentler facial scrub for that part. This process will slough off dead skin cells and help lighten your skin from top to bottom. If you go this route, please use sunscreen or avoid the sun right after! Freshly exfoliated skin is more vulnerable to sunburns and sun damage, so proceed with caution.
- Apply aloe vera gel. This cooling gel isn’t just for sunburns! Turns out, it can actually help with tan lines as well. Plus, it feels really good on exfoliated skin. Win, win! The aloe vera moisturizes your skin and its healing properties help restore your skin’s normal color quickly, thus reducing your tan lines.
CAMOUFLAGE THEM CAREFULLY
But what if you don’t want to fade your tan, just reduce your tan lines? Glad you asked! You can hide your existing tan lines with a little bit of magic … i.e. makeup.
- Grab your favorite bronzer. Ideally, you’ll use both a liquid bronzer as well as a powder bronzer for setting it. Dot the liquid bronzer along your tan lines, rubbing it into the palest parts of your skin so that it begins to match your tanned area. You may need some help reaching tan lines on your back! Once you’re satisfied with the liquid bronzer, use a makeup brush to gently sweep the powder bronzer over it. Finally, spritz your work with some setting spray to ensure your handiwork stays put from morning to night!
- Let your bronzer and setting spray sit for a couple of minutes before getting dressed. The only thing less attractive than a tan line is a bronzer stain on your bridesmaid dress. Blegh.
AVOIDING FUTURE TAN LINES
The best way to deal with unsightly tan lines is to avoid them in the first place – who would’ve thought? Luckily, there are plenty of ways to prevent tan lines.
- Swap out swimsuit styles daily. Yes, this means you’ll have to wear a different cute suit every day of your vacation. Think you’re up to the task? By wearing different styles and cuts, you’ll expose different skin daily and prevent glaring tan lines.
- Wear sunscreen! A tan might look nice but at the end of the day, it’s still damage caused by the sun. Protect your skin by applying and reapplying sunscreen whenever you’re outside. If you’re consistent and careful, your skin won’t burn or tan (at least, not much) and your tan lines will be much less obvious.
- Opt for strapless swimsuits. The most obvious tan lines are typically ones around your neck, so why not ditch the straps altogether? A bandeau suit is a flawless solution when you want to avoid tan lines. Wear the straps when you need them and take them off when you don’t! It’s perfect for stunning on the beach and in a strapless dress, sans tan lines.
Don’t let a crisscross of tan lines distract from your look. Fix awkward ones with these simple tricks and prevent new ones with a sleek Klassy Swim bandeau bikini top or one piece. Shop all La Blanca styles today to discover swimsuits that will make you look and feel your absolute best.